Knowing how to keep your home pest and rodent free this winter is crucial. Especially if you want to protect your family from infectious diseases. And keep your holiday money in your pocket.
According to Business Insider, pests and rodents invade 21 million U.S. homes every winter. And they cost Americans a combined $4 billion dollars per year in pest control fees and supplies. The National Pest Management Association offers these tips.
Keep Your Home Pest & Rodent Free in the Kitchen.
- For food storage. Use glass and plastic with airtight, locking lids. No cardboard. Rodents and pests love cardboard.
- Take out the garbage on a regular basis. And store it properly. In sealed containers.
- Inspect boxes, grocery bags and other packaging thoroughly.
- Store fruit in the refrigerator.
- Put pet food away after pets are finished eating. Especially overnight.
Keep Your Home Pest & Rodent Free All Around.
- Keep your home clean. And, clutter free. Rodents and pests will hide among the clutter and eat your food scraps.
- Install screens over chimney vents and openings.
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home. Include areas where utilities and pipes enter the home.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around your basement’s foundation. Also, windows.
- Channel water away from your home with gutters and diverts.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from your home. And five feet off the ground.
- Inspect wires, insulation and walls for any signs of gnaw marks.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
If you find rodent feces, hear sounds of scurrying in the walls or observe other signs of an infestation, contact a licensed pest professional. They can assist you with identifying problem areas. Plus, they’ll be able to treat infestations.
If you live in the Seattle area, call Classic Insulation. We’ll help you keep your home pest and rodent free this winter!