Why Wasps Are So DangerousDo you know why wasps can be worse than honey bees? Honey bees can only sting once, but wasps don’t have that same attribute and can sting you again and again. They are also easily provoked, even by accident. If you hit or smash a wasp, pheromones are released and will alert other wasps to attack you. Wasps are very aggressive when defending their colony and are more likely to attack when you are within 7-8 yards of their nest.
Wasps Can Cause Structural DamageWasp nests or hives can cause structural damage when they are built inside of your home. When lying on drywall, the nests or hives can cause the drywall to disintegrate. As the drywall disintegrates, more and more wasps will come into the structure leading to a dangerous situation.
Signs To Look ForTo know if your home is in danger of a wasp colony look for:
- Nests or hives in and around structures
- High numbers of wasps, yellow jackets, or hornets
- Constant activity of wasps coming from or going into any particular opening
Best Time to Get Rid of a Wasp NestAutumn tends to be the perfect time to get rid of wasp colonies because as when the weather turns cooler, the queens and males mate and stay in protected areas during the winter. This way you can get rid of them while they are all in one place. It may seem like you are no longer being pestered by the flying menaces, but they are actually just waiting to start the nesting cycle all over again in the spring.
Benefits of Hiring a ProfessionalRemoving a wasp nest on your own can be dangerous and risky. Wasp stings can cause allergic reactions and can sometimes lead to death, especially in large amounts. It’s important to hire a professional because:
- Our technicians can identify what type of wasp is causing the problem and use the best treatment to get rid of it for good.
- Our technicians use protective gear to keep safe during treatment.
- Wasp nests can be difficult to treat when they are located below ground.
Classic Insulation and Pest Control offers the best insulation and exterminator services from Seattle to Bellingham. Contact us today for a free quote!